In my previous blogs, I have shown you how to setup Active Directory Domain Services on Windows Server 2012 R2 for SharePoint 2013. Now we should be able to setup the Administrator and Service accounts in Active Directory.
In this blog, I’ll walk you step by step through the installation of Microsoft SQL Server 2012 on Windows Server 2012 R2. I’ll be creating a default instance of SQL Server that can be used to store the SharePoint 2013 data. Also, it has all the default databases in it.
SharePoint 2013 Installation Series:
- Part 1 – Step by step Installation of Windows Server 2012 R2
- Part 2 – Step by step installation of Active Directory Domain Services in Windows Server 2012 R2
- Part 3 – Step by step installation of Microsoft SQL Server 2012 R2 on Windows Server 2012 R2
- Part 4 – Install and troubleshoot Online/Offline prerequisites issues for SharePoint 2013
- Part 5 – Step by step installation of SharePoint 2013 with Sql Server 2012 on Windows Server 2012 R2
Note : If you wish to see how to install SharePoint 2016 then please check my step by step guide to installing SharePoint 2016.
Kindly follow the below mentioned steps to Install SQL Server 2012 R2
1. Browse the directory of your system where you have Microsoft SQL Server 2012 Setup files, right click on Setup.exe files and run as Run as administrator
2. The Splash screen will keep you waiting until SQL Server installation Center screen appears.
3. The SQL Server installation Center screen will appear with multiple options as depicted below in the screenshot
4. Click on Installation (2nd Option) from the left hand panel of the screen. Now, you should be able to see the options for installation.
5. Click on New SQL Server stand-alone installation or add features to an existing installation link, a splash screen will keep you waiting until the Microsoft SQL Server 2012 Service Pack 1 setup process is completed.
6. On the Setup Support Rules screen, the Installer checks for any potential issues that have occurred during the installation.
7. In the following Product Key screen, you have to provide a valid license Key. If you are installing the free version, you need to select the Specify a free edition radio box on the screen. Otherwise enter your license key and click Next to continue
8. On the License Terms screen, read the license terms carefully and check the accept the license terms option if you are happy with them
9. On the Product Updates screen you will be notified of any hot fixes or updates for SQL Server 2012 that are relevant to this installation. Click on Next button to continue
10. On the Install Setup Files screen the Setup files will be downloaded. You can click on the Install button to continue
11. Again, the Setup Support Rules screen appears, it identifies if there have been any installation issues. Click on Next button to continue
12. On Setup Role screen, select the SQL Server Feature Installation radio button and click the Next Button to continue
13. On the following screen, you should be able to select the Features of SQL Server that you want to have in your Installation. Below are the main Features that you should select but please also consider that you may wish to select others based on your requirements
- Instances Features
- Database Engine Services
- Full-Text and Semantic Extractions for Search
- Analysis Services 2.Shared Features
- Shared Features
- Reporting Services – SharePoint
- Reporting Services Add-in for SharePoint Products
- SQL Server Data Tools
- Management Tools – Basic
- Management Tools – Complete
14. On the Installation Rules screen, it will show you if the Installation process has had problems and got stuck somewhere. Click on Next button to continue
15. On the Instance Configuration screen, you can choose the default SQL Server Instance or create a new Named Instance. Also, you should be able to change the Instance directory on Windows Server 2012 R2. Click on Next button to continue
16. On the Disk Space Requirements screen, you will be able to see the details about the required disk space for installation. If your Windows Server 2012 R2 has enough space to install then you can click on Next button to continue
17. On the Server Configuration screen, go to the Service Accounts tab and perform the below mentioned actions
- Change the Startup Type for the SQL Server Agent to Automatic.
- Change the Account Name for the SQL Server Database Engine to NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM.
- Change the Account Name for the SQL Server Analysis Services to NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM.
- Click Next to move to the next page.
18. In the following screen, go to the Server configuration tab and select the Mixed Mode (SQL Server authentication and Windows authentication) option. Also, Add the current logged in user as System Administrator Account for this SQL Server Instance. Click on Next button to continue
19. On the Analysis Services Configuration screen, select the current logged in user as a System Administrator for Analysis Services. Click on Next button to continue
20. On the Reporting Services Configuration screen, select the Install Only radio button and click on Next Button to continue
21. On the Installation Configuration Rules screen, you should be able to see the issues that have occurred during installation.
22. On the Ready to Install screen, you should be able to all the Feature details that you wanted to install. If everything looks OK for you. Click on Next button to continue
23. On the Installation Progress screen, you should be able to see the downloading status of the required Software and the status of installation. Click on Next button
24. On the Complete screen, you will get the status of all the features that you have selected to Install. Now, you can close the screen and restart your Windows Server 2012 R2.
25. After restart your Windows Server 2012 R2, you should be able to login in to your SQL Server Instance
Once you have finished the installation you need to configure the Named Pipes protocol for your SQL Server 2012.
To Configure the Named Pipes protocol, browse the given path using SQL Server Configuration Manager
SQL Server Configuration Manager >> SQL Server Network Configuration >> Protocols for MSSQLSERVER.
Locate the Named Piped protocol in right panel of the screen and Enable it.
Now, you are good to use SQL Server 2012 R2 for your SharePoint 2013 setup. Enjoy … 🙂